If you’ve ever done a long car journey with children, you’ll no doubt have heard; ‘Are we there yet?’ if like my middle lad, Joe, it was usually within five minutes of getting in the car!
And if you have ever had the misfortune to deal with a dodgy mechanic (Cheadle has plenty of good, honest, hardworking ones by the way) you may recall hearing, accompanied by a dramatic intake of breath ‘It’s the crank shaft or big end! that’s gone. That’ll cost you a lot.”
As estate agents in Cheadle we’ve been serving people in our community for almost twenty years and during that time, we have heard a few phrases repeated constantly – many actually unprintable!
However, one of the most popular ones from vendors and buyers, especially at this time of year, is ‘we want to be in before Christmas.’
Remember most people selling a home are moving to another home. And most people see Christmas as a great time to be settled into a new property.
The average house sale takes 13 weeks from the moment a sale is agreed, although can be slightly quicker depending on the buyers and sellers situation and having proactive solicitors at both ends of the chain!
5 top tips for a Christmas move
But how do you give yourself the best possible chance of being ‘in for Christmas’? Here are five top tips, courtesy of the Maurice Kilbride Sales Team:
1) Contact estate agents at the start of September to come to your property and give you valuations.
2) Instruct the agent who you think will get you the best price in the shortest possible time (don’t just go for the cheapest fee, as cheap won’t leave you cheerful when it comes to selling a home or as much money in your pocket for Christmas pressies!).
3) Instruct a solicitor who has come recommended. A good solicitor is key to getting everything sorted in a time scale that suits you. You shouldn’t have to chase your solicitor to get things done, they are working for you after all.
4) The run up to Christmas is always a busy time for good removal firms. There’s a reason why certain removal companies can do your move at the drop of a hat and it’s usually not one of the better ones. With that in mind remember to get a free quote before you have a confirmed moving date – some firms will pencil you in, but this needs to be confirmed as soon as you know the completion date and when contracts have been exchanged.
5) Throughout the process a good estate agent will keep in constant contact with you to ensure your sale is progressing well. This draws us back to our second point. Many online agencies that charge rocket bottom fees deliver poor quality after sale service with communication a victim of their price cutting, oh and maybe already having your money may have something to do with it! This can leave you out of pocket and stressed and make the whole moving experience a lot more miserable than it need be.
So, if you are looking to be ‘in for Christmas’ give us a call as we’d love to help you do exactly that, but the clock is definitely on countdown!!
Thanks for reading
Whether you are selling, buying, letting or renting, we’re here to help. Call Patrick, Sarah, Joe or myself on 0161 428 3663 or email: email@example.com for expert advice which is honest, accurate and informative. Better still, why not pop into our High Street office for an informal chat, you never know, we might even stretch to one of our famous brews!